Omega (Boxer) Fedora Remix

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Dec 17 10:43:08 UTC 2009

On 17/12/09 05:08, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 12/17/2009 03:23 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>

>>     After the first yum update:
>>     Linux box6 2.6.31.6-166.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Dec 9 10:46:22 EST
>>     2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>>     Grub shows the original as:
>>     vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.x86_64
>>
>>     Notice that it appears to have recognized this box as able to use 64
>>     bit apps? I was surprised to see that after the install.
>>
> This is the arch issue I was talking about. Do a hiccup in the compose,
> x86_64 kernel got pulled in. This is bound to confuse yum among other
> things.  You can download the 32-bit kernel and install it manually as a
> workaround.
>
> Rahul

The question then becomes what is box 6? Is it capable of running as a a
64 bit computer? I do a lot of reconfiguration immediately after install
and yum collected 64 bit apps wherever possible and it all seems to be
working!

Do I need to wipe it out and start over? I'm not sure what I have for a
computer, it's always run 32 bit.

This F-11 [box9] computer I believe is 32 bit, it's about six  months
earlier in manufacture.

But dmidecode for box6 [F-12] shows the following data:

BIOS Information
         Vendor: Dell Inc.
         Version: A09
         Release Date: 06/22/2005
         Address: 0xF0000
         Runtime Size: 64 kB
         ROM Size: 512 kB
         Characteristics:
                 PCI is supported
                 PNP is supported
                 APM is supported
                 BIOS is upgradeable
                 BIOS shadowing is allowed
                 Boot from CD is supported
                 Selectable boot is supported
                 EDD is supported
                 Japanese floppy for Toshiba 1.2 MB is supported (int 13h)
                 Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
                 8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
                 Serial services are supported (int 14h)
                 Printer services are supported (int 17h)
                 ACPI is supported
                 USB legacy is supported
                 LS-120 boot is supported
                 BIOS boot specification is supported
                 Function key-initiated network boot is supported

:

Processor Information
         Socket Designation: Microprocessor
         Type: Central Processor
         Family: Pentium 4
         Manufacturer: Intel
         ID: 41 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
         Signature: Type 0, Family 15, Model 4, Stepping 1
         Flags:
                 FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
                 VME (Virtual mode extension)
                 DE (Debugging extension)
                 PSE (Page size extension)
                 TSC (Time stamp counter)
                 MSR (Model specific registers)
                 PAE (Physical address extension)
                 MCE (Machine check exception)
                 CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
                 APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
                 SEP (Fast system call)
                 MTRR (Memory type range registers)
                 PGE (Page global enable)
                 MCA (Machine check architecture)
                 CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
                 PAT (Page attribute table)
                 PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
                 CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
                 DS (Debug store)
                 ACPI (ACPI supported)
                 MMX (MMX technology supported)
                 FXSR (Fast floating-point save and restore)
                 SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
                 SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
                 SS (Self-snoop)
                 HTT (Hyper-threading technology)