How to identify 32 or 64 bits -

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Dec 17 13:58:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 08:44 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 17/12/09 07:50, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> I'm sorry, I missed the "grep." So all I did was cat the /proc/info and
> didn't know what to look for?
>
> This F-11 box yields:
>
>     [bobg at box9 ~]$ grep lm /proc/cpuinfo
>     "nothing returned"

This box doesn't have the lm flag.

> While the Omega F-12 box yields:
>
>     [bobg at box6 ~]$ grep lm /proc/cpuinfo
>     flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
>     cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
>     syscall nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid
                 ^^
                 +--- that's what you're looking for!

Also, if you have 64-bit install media around you can always just try to
boot it on the other hardware. The worst that can happen is it will fail
horribly during booting - it won't leave you with a borked install that
won't boot (since the 64-bit media will boot a 64-bit kernel during the
installation).

Regards,
Bryn.