init: illegal runlevel (null)

Luca lucarx76 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 17:24:59 UTC 2009

Ok. Reading the pivot_root man page (http://linux.die.net/man/8/pivot_root)

to change the root fs

mount /dev/hda1 /new-root
cd /new-root
pivot_root . old-root
exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1

So I changed
exec chroot . sh -c 'exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1
exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1

I do not see any complains, but the /proc dir is empty now.

If I try to change run level though I get

telinit 5
telinit: Unable to send message: Connection refused

Thank you,
 Luca