diskless with /usr on nfs: mount.nfs depends on /usr/lib/libtirpc.so !?!

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 00:58:59 UTC 2009

> However, somehow the diskless client was unable to mount /usr
> over nfs, and (after pulling out my hair for a while) I suddenly
> discovered that the /sbin/mount.nfs actually depends on a library
> on /usr:
>
> $ ldd /sbin/mount.nfs | grep usr
>     libtirpc.so.1 => /usr/lib/libtirpc.so.1
>     libgssglue.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgssglue.so.1
>
> The executable which mounts /usr depends on a library that is
> not mounted yet....the snake seems to bite its own tail here!

This seems to be more likely an error in the library packages:
libtirpc-0.2.0-4.fc12.i686
libgssglue-0.1-8.fc12.i686

Their libraries should be installed in /lib NOT in /usr/lib !!

Other people encountered this before, for example:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/eldk/2008-January/000061.html
http://lists.mandriva.com/bugs/2009-11/msg05425.php

So I wonder why it has not been fixed in F12.

Rob.