8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

Dedhi Sujatmiko sujatmiko.dedhi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 10:57:35 UTC 2009

Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> Are you quite certain yours is an 8 GB device??
>

>> Disk /dev/sdb: 4045 MB, 4045930496 bytes
>> 120 heads, 55 sectors/track, 1197 cylinders
>> Units = cylinders of 6600 * 512 = 3379200 bytes
>>

> This says it's a 4 GB device (plus or minus).

Just a side note.
At least where I lives, in Asia South countries, we found some bogus
China made USB flash disk, which claims a certain size when being
plugged into the Windows the 1st time. Then when we want to re-partition
or trying to fill it up to its declared capacity, the ugly head arise.
Kingston and Sandisk are the most targeted brands for these fake.