errors on trying to install latest nvidia driver with F12

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 16:34:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:02 AM, N James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have now succeeded in installing the nvidia driver and have used
> Richard Shaw's trick to stop nouveau loading (add rdblacklist=nouveau to
> the kernel parameters in grub.conf). The result is that the graphical
> boot (plymouth) is replaced by a plain progress bar but once that is
> finished the nvidia driver works as intended.
>
> Thanks for the various bits of advice

Another trick, if you want the graphical plymouth just add a VESA vga=
line to the kernel parameters. I use "vga=0x318" but you can manually
add "vga=ask" the first time to pick the resolution you want.

One gotcha: When you use vga=ask you do not need the "0x" on the front
but you need it when you change it in grub.conf.

Richard