8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 23:09:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage
<dsavage at peaknet.net> wrote:

> Are you quite certain yours is an 8 GB device??

Arrrgh! Since you asked, I thought I'd check.. and it's indeed a 4 GB!

I bought this drive at Future Shop, more commonly known as Future
Shark. The price, $10 (CAN) seemed really unbelievable for an 8GB
drive, mainly ~2 years ago, but it now appears inside the package was
a 4GB drive.

It's still a good price but then often acts weirdly. For some time, I
had the capacity reading at 17 GB with also a reading of about twice
what was written on it.

I had and still have problems with e2fsck:

e2fsck -c /dev/sdb
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Wouldn't it be a good thing if I used fdisk to change -- what is it
called? -- the label co that everything matches?

Last word on Future Shop: BEWARE. They sell junk and crap. I once
bought 50 Mitsumi CDs from them and half of the pile ended as
coasters. Of course, I'd never buy a computer there, but it seems you
end up being ripped off even on the small stuff.