To Timothy Murphy

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 15:32:43 UTC 2009

On Sunday 20 December 2009 12:27:51 Andras Simon wrote:
> On 12/19/09, Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat at samsharpe.net> wrote:
> > 2009/12/19 Andras Simon <szajmi at gmail.com>:
> >> I don't think you can tweak gmail's spam filter. Not directly, anyway.
> >> I always check Timothy Murphy's mails that gmail labels as spam as
> >> "not spam", hoping to teach it that they're not.
> >
> > They're not being tagged as Spam, they are being tagged as Phishing. I
>
> They _are_ labelled as spam here. (And I have no idea how can you
> claim that they're not.)

Let me try to help a bit here: they _are_ _not_ being labelled as spam on my
gmail account (not anymore).

And I *do* have an idea how can you claim that they are --- because apparently
every gmail user teaches his own "version" of the spam filter. Select all
Timothy's messages you have, click on the "not spam" button, and hopefully
gmail will stop labelling them as spam. If it does not, repeat the above until
it does.

It appears that the spam teaching capabilities in gmail are a "per user" thing
--- you need to teach gmail about this *yourself* for your account. The fact
that some of us did it for our own accounts has nothing to do with yours.

In my case this teaching has been quite successful, it required just a handful
of messages to learn. The problem never appeared again. This was several
months ago, IIRC.

HTH, :-)
Marko