how to get F12 to 'send host-name' in dhcp request?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Dec 20 17:13:57 UTC 2009

M. Milanuk wrote:
> On 12/17/2009 2:47 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 21:29:46 -0800
>> M. Milanuk wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone help me out here?  This is driving me nutty.  How do I make
>>> F12 send the right request to the dhcp server?
>>
>> Every distro seems to do this differently (sometimes each distro
>> changes between releases :-), but for fedora/redhat what has
>> always worked for me is to edit the ifcfg-eth0 script
>> and add:
>>
>> DHCP_HOSTNAME="whatever"
>>
>> to the parameters.
>>

> Hello Tom,
>
> Thanks for the help.  I took a look in that script, and I see what
> you're talking about.  I may end up going that route in the end, or just
> editing the dnsmasq.conf file on the server to use dhcp-client-id
> instead of dhcp-host.
>
> In the mean time, its still bugging me as to what exactly is going on
> here.  On further inspection, the /var/run/nm-dhclient-eth0.conf files
> for both the F12 machine and the U9.10 machine are nearly the same they
> *both* have Network Manager adding the same line to the end ('send
> dhcp-client-identifier "demandred" '), but the file in U9.10 looks like
> they just copied over /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf (which they still have)
> into the NM file, with one line uncommented:
>
>     send host-hame "<hostname>";
>
> I don't know if that gets expanded when the script is run to take the
> machines hostname and send it as part of the dhcp request, and thats why
> it gets the proper dhcp lease as it should, and F12 doesn't?
>
>  From the sounds of things, it appears I'm going to have to learn a bit
> about wireshark and start trying to capture the network traffic when the
> client machines send their dhcp requests and see what is and isn't being
> sent.

Learning wireshark and tcpdump are valuable goals for anyone who is getting into
checking that network traffic is proper.

I thought I had taken the easy way out by just setting the MAC address of
virtual machines so I can control the name and IP address in one place. Nothing
I see in this thread makes me think there's a better way. ;-)

Having all the name/IP/MAC information in one place has made my life easier many
times, both for administration and documentation.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>