Tar oddity...

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Mon Dec 21 00:53:32 UTC 2009

2009/12/21 DB <Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk>

> Hi Chris,
>
> The original command was
>
> tar cvzf F11_Home_Dave_20091217.tar.gz /home/Dave
>
> and the "problem" is that tar tvh F11*gz lists all the files on the F11
> desktop, but when the external HDD is transferred to the F12 laptop, tar
> tvh  (and ark) give the errors quoted...

Make sure that you are "safely removing" your drive before you unplug it.

Copy the file, run the "sync" command and then unmount. Make sure that it is
definitely unmounted before you unplug it. It could be that you are removing
it before it has *actually* synchronises the data.

I agree with the checksum suggestions below and I'm sure they will show a
difference. If so, try the above. Copy, run sync, run checksum.

-c