Where is WM Player Plug-in (Omega has it)

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 02:49:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

>>> The answer is gecko-mediaplayer and it is in rpmfusion and those videos
>>> play fine on my F12 system with that installed.
>>>

>> gecko-mediaplayer is not available for playing Windows Media.
>>
> It does...with the correct gstreamer-plugins installed....

I have it installed. It is used for... Flash video!

> I am telling you....those videos run fine on my system.  I only use
> fedora and rpmfusion repos.

If all your system is 32 bit, I believe you. Mine worked fine with all
64 bit. But i installed Flash 32 bit because of security concerns. I
don't believe the 64 bit version is patched and I don't like having to
check all the time because it's not installed by yum.

> The videos are playing on my system using
> gecko-mediaplayer....regardless of your opinion.

Here, the slosest math for asf and asx would b epalin mplayer.
Otherwise, it's MozPlugger.

For Windows media, the closest match would be GNOME MPlayer. Is this
the same as selection gecko? I don't have any gecko option available
for Windows Media.

>> Let me guess: all your system is either 32 bit or 64 bit? No
>> flash-plugin 32 bit on a 64 bit system.
>>

> 32

If it's all 32 bit, that's probably why. Do you use Mplayer or Totem?
Omega uses Totem, I use Mplayer, which is recommenced by Radio-Canada.
Mplayer used to work better. Maybe this has changed.

BUT, though I might find a solution, all this is completely
ridiculous. In the US, Microsoft is under the legislator's eye and
I've been playing non-stop about 10 videos on... MS-NBC, which uses
Flash-Player!!!!

Here, in Canada, we're a banana republic. Harper is most probably
financed by Microsoft. Sometimes, you don't change the settings at all
and the videos stop playing. After Christmas, I'll see if there is
anything to do with the opposition parties.

At the CBC, you can't even play Flash, videos!

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows

Hey, that's quite a feat! And no settings are involved in this case.