OT: howto change Firefox's default print options

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Dec 22 19:53:38 UTC 2009

On 12/22/2009 11:32 AM, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need help with the default printing options in Firefox. It has a very
> annoying "feature" when trying to print: it insists on providing me with
> preselected headers and footers.
>
> Page defaults can only be set after selecting "Print". Go to tab Options
> and then manually deselect the four preset header and footer options.
> That boils down to seven mouse clicks, *per document*, just to get rid
> of something I never asked for and don't want. What "usability" genius
> thought that one up? (Are we sure we haven't been invaded by M$ moles?)
>
> I've tried making changes in about:config but have no idea what I'm
> looking for. The probable looking things I've changed seem to have no
> effect.
>
> If anybody knows how to do this I'd love to learn it from you.

I believe the things you're looking for are in about:config.  Look
for "print.printer_(printer_name).(attribute).  The attributes are:

	print_footercenter
	print_footerleft
	print_footerright
	print_headercenter
	print_headerleft
	print_headerright

YMMV.
-   Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  I don't know.  Who cares?  -