Booting Fedora-12 from hard disk, again, again

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Dec 23 20:33:08 UTC 2009

jackson byers wrote:

>>In the first place, I would have thought that almost anyone doing this
>>would want to (or need to) avoid CDs or DVDs altogether,
>>by abstracting vmlinuz, initrd.img and the images directory
>>from the ISO file,
>>and adding a stanza to grub.conf to boot from these.
>
>>There are no instructions for doing this, as far as I can see.
>
> Well, you seem to have figured it out, congrats!
> May I ask, just where did you find the instructions re install.img,?

I think I first came across it when installing Fedora-10,
which I believe was the first distribution
where it was necessary to abstract install.img
as well as vmlinuz and initrd.img .

I guess I would first have read of it here,
in a posting to this list/newsgroup.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net