IBM Netfinity 5000

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Dec 25 17:37:51 UTC 2009

    I have an old Netfinity 5000 server that used to run WinNT and I'd
like to install Fedora on it, any "recent" version would do (basically,
from 10 up).  I started with a Fedora 12 DVD and it booted partway ...
froze, then the screen said 'Cannot find root partition.'  So I decided
to try a Fedora 10 disc instead, same result.  Tried using an F10 LIVE
KDE disk, same thing.  It just won't boot up.

    Hardware wise, it has 2 SCSI drives in it, and an IDE DVD drive.  A
dual head Matrox card has been put in to replace the original planar
video on the board.  Any suggestions where I should start diagnosing
this beast?  Thanks!

    -- A