[Fedora] Re: IBM Netfinity 5000

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sat Dec 26 02:26:42 UTC 2009

Jack Lauman wrote:
> You need to boot up with the IBM NetFinity "SmartStart" disk and
> install a service partition for NT4. Compaq Presario DL-360 rackmount
> servers don't have a BIOS than can save parameters, as I recall from
> working on the NetFinity 5000 years ago at Gannett, they don't either.
> The startup parameters are stored on the service partition of the boot
> disk created with "SmartStart".
    The machine was already running NT4.  So whatever service partition
it needed would've already been there.  On the other hand, I don't ever
remember having to do that when we first purchased it.  It came bare,
and all we did was stick the NT4 disk in, boot, manually install the
SCSI drivers from a floppy and the WinNT install took over from there.

    That's not to say that you're not correct.  You could very well be,
I just don't recall ever having to do that.