8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sat Dec 26 02:51:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-25 at 15:27 -0800, jdow wrote:
> [...]

Concurrent with Jaz drives were 1.5 GB SyQuest SyJet drives.  Superior
technology, IIRC, bigger, faster, more reliable than Jaz.  I just took
one out of service in a home machine, though I haven't really used it in
quite a while.

> > Robert McBroom
>
> And they tripped an interesting chip bug in the Adaptec SCSI chips
> that we were using for the Microbotics hard disk controller for Amigas.
> That was a bastard to track down until somebody smuggled to me the
> Adaptec internal bugs tradeoff sheet for Rev C, D, and E of that chip.
> No, none of them had "no bugs". It was a tradeoff.
>
> (Otherwise, at the time, that controller and some nice 300 Meg SCSI
> drives from a now defunct manufacturer in The Valley (San Fernando)
> made for the fastest read and write times on disk tests that anybody
> had published for ANY machine mortals could afford.)
>
> {^_^}   (Yeah, I'm THAT Joanne Dow.)

Hi, Joanne--haven't seen you around in a while 8^).

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu