Wine (?) spoiling F12 boot : MITIGATED

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Dec 28 17:12:10 UTC 2009

BeartoothHOS wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:53:22 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:

>> the the Preferences->Display to
>> set the resolution. Failing in this use system-config-display --xorg to
>> create a new file, then edit that. Only needed to do that on one
>> machine.
>
> 	I got an error message denying the existence of " --xorg"

Wow, did I misremember that one. The method is "Xorg -configure" and must be run
as root.

>> I make no claim to be an expert, I just have learned not to shoot myself
>> in the foot.
>
> 	Between your post and Tom Horsley's, I happened to think of
> changing the driver -- and did, from nv to vesa. I don't now recall
> exactly what all else I did, but I do remember an oddity.
>
> 	At one point, I tried again to edit xorg.conf, and got a message
> saying it didn't exist. I ran system-config-display instead to create one
> -- and it did, with vesa instead of nv.
>
> 	After all that, I can still only set the display up to 1280x1024,
> not 1680x1050 (which this machine, I'm sure, did support before). But
> that's within the monitor's own ability to adapt to.

What does System->admin->display say in the display tab? I find that I need to
manually set that sometimes. I think I said system->config->display the first
time, had the wrong WM in front of me.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>