ARM microcontroller code development with eclipse?

KC8LDO kc8ldo at arrl.net
Mon Dec 28 20:42:49 UTC 2009

Shakthi;

This is what I'm recommending to a friend, coworker, for doing development
work in a Linux environment at home for the ARM microcontroller below:

http://www.eclipse.org/

http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ecl-cdt1/index.html
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-eclipse-stlcdt/

http://www.gnuarm.org/home.html

http://www.freertos.org/

I just got a commercial development IDE from this place for use at work:

http://www.keil.com/arm/

The company I work for paid for it and you're limited to just TWO
installations using their Internet based license server. This is the same
IDE used by the engineering groups at our sister companies. Everybody wants
to use the same set of tools so code can be freely exchanged between the
various departments. Yes you have to be on the Internet to connect to their
server which does something with the serial number you get for your
installation, by email, and a machine "fingerprint" that is registered with
Keil. Once the license is installed it unlocks the package components
depending on what you paid for.

This is very expensive at $4800 for the unlimited version, MDK-ARM, which is
what you must have to get the RTOS option. Then if you want any extra
libraries to do TCP/IP - USB etc. that's another $4895! So for a complete
tool set you'll spend almost $10K!!!

For hobby use, or for those "midnight engineering" projects when you're done
with your day job, one just can't spend that kind of money. Looking for free
and open source tools is the only viable alternative. It seems that the ARM
microcontroller is a VERY popular 32 bit device. I would like to see Linux
support it with up to date tools and doc's out of the box so to speak.

The Keil IDE has some very nice features, like a logic analyzer - full
peripheral emulation in the debugger - real time debugging using a JTAG
interface etc., but you pay dearly for that. If you don't need it or can
work without it then another solution has to be out there.

The above mentioned friend spent about $200 to get a development board, for
home experimentation, from these people:

http://www.armkits.com/Product/lpceb2000.asp

And several of the optional CPU complex's to plug in to it:

http://www.armkits.com/Product/lpc2000s.asp
http://www.armkits.com/Product/lpc2000a.asp
http://www.armkits.com/Product/lpc2000b.asp

The above software tools are what I was recommending he try out for a
programming environment. I haven't seen the tools that are included with the
development board, but I wouldn't be surprised that they weren't that good.
Thus my questions.

Regards;

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO