Monitor doesn't turn go into powersave

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Dec 29 00:51:23 UTC 2009

On 28/12/09 17:52, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> xset dpms force off

If running 'xset dpms force off' puts your monitor into powersave mode
immediately, and if you boot with 'nomodeset', and that makes powersave
work for you again automatically, then you have the same bug.

After pondering this, since 'xset dpms force off' works to put the
monitor into powersave mode, then this has to be a bug. I just need to
figure out what to file a bug against: gnome-power-manager, x.org, or
kernel.

    Yes when I do "xset dpms force off" The screen goes black which is
    what it should do if the screen saver worked..

    To do "nomodeset" I will have to reboot is suppose but not sure how
    to apply that, "startx --nomodeset" perhaps or do I have to do it in
    grub? Yes, you say boot with it. Not sure where to put it in grub.

    Bob