problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 29 04:16:32 UTC 2009

TNWestTex wrote:

> Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>
>> François Patte wrote:

>>> Why don't edit grub "boot line" to switch to level 3 and see what
>>> happens using startx? Then examine the log files Xorg.0.log*

>> François:
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. Given the "here it is" replies from Eric and
>> Kevin, I'm going to take the easy route and use that rather than get
>> myself into more trouble with Xorg.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> If you use the advice from François you can make the other changes by using
> su - to get to root without having to reinstall.  In textmode you have
> control over your system that the graphical boot takes away from you.
> Besides on all the systems I've tried so far it is much faster to login and
> type startx than is tis to wait for all the graphics.
>
> Robert McBroom

Robert:

Though I certainly agree with the benefits you describe, I have to admit
that I don't feel secure enough in my skills to venture into such. Just
trying to run vanilla quite often gets me into trouble. That being said,
fedora / red hat / linux is one heck of alot easier than Windows as far
as I am concerned.

Once I have a stable f12 install, I'll read man page / web to learn more
about startx as your advice indicates it is probably something I could
find useful.

Thanks for the email,
Paul