problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 29 04:25:46 UTC 2009

Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> On Monday 28 December 2009 02:11 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 03:04 -0800, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>>> ~/.bash_profile gets sourced by any "well behaved" desktop environment
>>> when ever you login. In my experience XFCE and WindowMaker does
>>> this. (I
>>> don't use Gnome/KDE as often, so can't comment on them).
>>>
>>> ~/.bashrc gets sourced when ever you open an interactive shell,
>>> maybe by
>>> opening a terminal emulator or login in remotely.
>>>
>>> This means whenever you login remotely both ~/.bash_profile&  ~/.bashrc
>>> gets sourced. However if you open a terminal emulator like
>>> gnome-terminal or xterm only your ~/.bashrc gets sourced.
>>
>> It is my impression that.bashrc is souurced whenever any program is run
>> in a bash environment. I am willing to be corrected.
>>

> By bash environment if you mean a terminal emulator then that is
> exactly what I meant in my previous post. However if for example you
> run something using a menu or shortcut on your desktop or maybe Alt-F2
> then ~/.bashrc is _not_ sourced, and environment variables defined
> there won't be available to you. If you want something like that, you
> need to define it in your ~/.bash_profile.
>
> Hope this makes my point clearer. :)
Naive question .... it sounds like if a user has selected bash as
shell-of-choice, then bash_profile is there for any operation (terminal
or not) that would involve the use of the shell? I might not be saying
this right, but I am trying to understand just how global bash_profile
is and, if not, why it isn't as it seems by your email that for all
intents and purposes it is global to a user's login process.

Thanks for bearing with the question given that you already know I am
running tcsh and therefore this is a learning exercise as opposed to a
real occurrence in my usage of fedora.

Paul