problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 29 05:21:45 UTC 2009

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>
>> Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> Why not just read "man bash"?
>>>

>> Because bring up the "man bash" pages and searching for "profile"
>> gives me info about what happens with a shell or a non-interactive
>> --login shell and doesn't give me any meta information that either
>> answers my question or makes it clear that I am asking the wrong
>> question.
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html
>>
>> One of the reasons to watch/read this forum is to get answers to
>> questions that man pages don't supply. In my experience, if you want
>> to know exactly how to do something with a given command/whatever,
>> they are great. If you want to get an understanding of the overall
>> picture of the command/whatever, they aren't very good as they assume
>> you have already commit to "this is what I am using so how do I do
>> this particular operation".
>>
>> To ask what is the scope of ".bash_profile" outside of sourcing order
>> in particular occurrences, I don't see it in the man pages.
>>
>> I am more than happy to be told that I am totally incorrect in my
>> interpretation of this.
>>
>> Thanks (and that includes making me double-check the man pages to
>> prove to myself that I am not seeing the answer I am looking for!),
>> Paul
>>

> I suppose I don't understand your question or what makes you think the
> man page doesn't answer it.....
>
> The man page tells you under what conditions the various files
> (/etc/profile, ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_login etc) are read depending on
> what type of shell (interactive, login).
>
> Are you saying there is a situation not covered?
>
> Remember, everything that is executed is executed under a shell.

Ed,

Thanks for bearing with me on this.

I think part of my confusion is that I am not understanding whether a
login shell covers everything that is done once I have logged in via
splash screen or if it is confined to "logining into a shell". If the
former, then I would assume bash_profiles is hit once and everything
done thereafter would be under its command. If the latter, then I am
probably unclear about whether launching a terminal is a "login" act
(hence under bash_profile only within that shell).

As I said on my initial reply to this thread, "Naive question". I may be
missing a fundamental understanding of shells and logins and all that
sort of stuff.

Paul