Hard Drive upgrade with Fedora 12 installed

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 29 15:17:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade the hard drives in my computer, and I could use
some help transitioning the Fedora 12 installation that I have to the
new hard drive without reinstalling the operating systems that I have on
my computer. I have had PC DOS 2000 installed on a 6 GiB hard drive,
Windows XP Professional on a 40GB hard drive, and Fedora 12 on another
40 GB hard drive. I have purchased a 500 GB hard drive to take the place
of the two 40 GB hard drives.

The XP and the PC DOS I can handle, but I am unsure of how to transition
the Fedora 12 installation due to the fact that I know next to nothing
about SELinux, how it affects /etc/fstab since Fedora started enabling
SELinux by default years ago, nor how to copy/rebuild the /dev and /proc
trees on the new hard drive. Any help you can give me would seriously be
appreciated.

Thanks,
William