GRUB2?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Dec 29 22:51:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:46:17 +0100
Tom H wrote:

> I have forgotten whether the previous version of Ubuntu had an inittab
> but the current one, 9.10, does not. You can nonetheless modify the
> init levels at which init scripts are run (or not) and pass an init
> level as a kernel parameter in grub or through "init X".

Used to be able to, the latest ubuntu has gone almost totally upstart.
You try to poke around in places like /etc/rc2.d and find they don't exist
any more. That eventually led me to the gdm script in the new upstart
directory (who's name I have already forgotten), and reading that
script led me to the text parameter on the kernel boot line.