F12/Subversion/httpd -- PROPFIND access denied

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Wed Dec 30 01:01:44 UTC 2009

After upgrading to Fedora 12, I installed and tried to set up a
Subversion repository with mixed success.  I have worked out the bulk of
the issues but one still has me stumped.  Hopefully, someone on this
list knows the answer or can point me to a URL that does.

The problem is that I cannot get Subversion to work with Apache 2.2.
Every time that I try to checkout the repository, I receive a 403
Forbidden Access error.  To make matters more frustrating, if I access
the repository using local access (file:///...) the command works.  It
is only when I try to use HTTP/WebDAV access (http://localhost/svn/...)
does the access problem occur.

Things that I have tried:

- SELinux enabled and disabled -- no difference.

- Various permissions and ownerships.
   -- The repository and Subversion directories are currently owned by
apache.apache.

- Various settings in my subversion.conf file for httpd.
   -- When the <LimitExcept> section is commented out, the failure comes
on the third
       "PROPFIND /svn/Home/sfbooks/trunk  HTTP/1.1" request.  The first
two return 207
       while the third one returns 403.  Using Wireshark, all three
requests are identical
       barring numbers in the IP headers.
   -- When the <LimitExcept> section is active, the failure comes on the
very first request,
       "OPTIONS /svn/Home/sfbooks/trunk HTTP/1.1" request with a 403
response.
   -- Both 403 responses contain the same reason: "You don't have
permission to access
       /svn/Home/sfbooks/trunk\n on this server."

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Setup:

Root Subversion Directory:    /opt/Subversion
Repository Parent Directory:  /opt/Subversion/repos
Password File:                          /opt/Subversion/users/passwords
(created using htpasswd)
SVN Authz Config File:            /opt/Subversion/permissions/svnauthz.conf

Repository:                               Home  (located at
/opt/Subversion/repos/Home)
Project within Home Repo:     sfbooks/trunk

Content of passwords:
     steven:MD5PasswordHash

Content of svnauthz.conf
     [/]
     steven=rw

Content of conf.d/subversion.conf

   LoadModule dav_svn_module     modules/mod_dav_svn.so
   LoadModule authz_svn_module   modules/mod_authz_svn.so

   Alias  /svn  /opt/Subversion/repos

<Location /svn/>
      # mod_dav Commands
      DAV                  svn
      DavDepthInfinity     on

      # SVN Provider Commands
      SVNParentPath        /opt/Subversion/repos

      # authz_svn_module Commands
      AuthzSVNAccessFile   /opt/Subversion/permissions/svnauthz.conf

<LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
              # Authentication Commands
              AuthType             Basic
              AuthName             "Subversion Repository Login"
              AuthUserFile         /opt/Subversion/users/passwords
              Satisfy              Any
              Require              valid-user
</LimitExcept>

      # <Limit GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
      #        Order   Allow,Deny
      #        Allow   from All
      # </Limit>

</Location>

--
   Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: /"Winter meant the coming of the lazy wind, which couldn't be
bothered to blow around people and blew right through them instead."/
      -- Terry Pratchett, from /"Wyrd Sisters"/