Name of fedora lists - you're kidding right?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Wed Dec 30 17:25:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 05:08 -0400, Steven Susbauer wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2009, at 7:48 PM, Tim wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 11:10 -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:
> >> There was a discussion a while back as to how to describe list. The
> >> result is what you see today. The idea 0052b2a6-0010ist
> >> name/description would clarify expectations to everyone arriving here.
> >> In short it says: "this is what the fedora user list is for."
> >
> > That may well be, but it's the wrong place to put a *description*.  And
> > certainly not where any newcomer is going to see it.
>
> It's not all that uncommon.
>
> I've seen more than a few posts to this list that were also posted to:
>
> Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

Mea culpa, I set this field in 2008.

According to Mailman, that is the "Description" field (described as a
"Terse phrase identifying the list"). The actual *name* of the list is
"fedora-list". The name and description appear side-by-side at
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo

This change followed a discussion about list quality (among other
things, no one was registered as list-owner at the time, and the
purpose/scope of the list was not clearly defined). We also wanted a
lightweight way to remind people that messages on the lists didn't
necessarily convey the official position of the Project, without doing
something stupid like attaching boilerplate text to the end of each
message.

Suggestions for new text values are welcome -- but you will have to sell
your proposal.

-Chris