Installation plays hardball

Garrick Sitongia sitongia at fastmail.us
Thu Dec 31 08:49:27 UTC 2009

I just installed Fedora for the first time on my Windows/Linux dual boot
system. The Fedora installer gave me the option of installing over the
present linux installation on the disk, an old Mandriva version. I
assumed this meant the operating system partition. There were 2 other
unrelated ext3 partitions for photo archives and e-mail backup. After
booting into Fedora I discovered that the Fedora installer wiped every
linux partition without confirmation or consent. I have installed other
versions of Linux and I have always been given a choice. Your installer
should indicate that ALL linux type file systems will be wiped, in
addition to the operating system file system.

Garrick