httpd service is dead

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 2 01:46:22 UTC 2009

> Simon Tierney wrote:
>> When I try to edit httpd.conf I get the message "could not save file..."
>> it doesn't even prompt me for the root password.
>>
>> My httpd service is dead and I can't resurrect it, what should I do?
>>
> Open a terminal
> run "su -" (Give root password.)
> edit the file with your editor of choice.

Open a terminal
edit the file /etc/pam.d/gdm
Comment out the fourth line so it reads:
#auth      required    pam_suceed_if.so user != root quiet

Save, exit.
Switch user to root, or login as root as desired, not as circumscribed
by others who wish to tell you how to use your own computer.
Of course, use are your own risk: it is *your* computer.

Geoff