OT?: Thunderbird/Firefox - http links changed to file: links??

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Mon Feb 2 06:16:17 UTC 2009

RDB wrote:
> On Monday 02 February 2009 00:23:27 G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
>> steve wrote:
>>> I'll assume you meant http:// ...
>
> How about trying to create a new profile for both Firefox and Thunderbird, one
> at a time ? Start Firefox or Thunderbird with -ProfileManager flag. This should
> clears out any preference installed in your profile by starting with a fresh
> profile (and you don't have to delete your profile in .mozilla directory). Re-
> installing Firefox / Thunderbird may not help if the problem is in your profile
> or an extension stored in your profile.

Actually, I bit the bullet and moved my profiles aside and re-created
the new user state.

The problem persists!  Not just one or two messages, now it affects all
message links from Thunderbird to Firefox.

All that is installed in firefox and thunderbird as far as extensions
are the defaults.

Re-examination of the configurations again reveals nothing unexpected.

I'm beginnig to wonder if there is something amiss with some global
configuration or if I have somehow been compromised.  This last is
fairly unlikely since I practice safe hex and have a firewall in place.

I guess I'll have to dig into the global configurations for TB and FF
but don't expect to find anything as they were both erased and
re-installed just now.

Just to be on the safe side I'll reboot to make sure there isn't any
memory-resident interceptor at work.  An examination of ps shows nothing
unusual but I'll check for rootkits and such as well.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury