evolution email

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 12:58:27 UTC 2009

On 02/01/2009 02:41 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 13:13 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>>> That said, I've been using it for many, many years and it works fine for
>>> me.
>> Ditto, but with persistent frustrations. I'm fed up to the back teeth
>> with it hanging forever trying to sync an IMAP mailbox, something that
>> happens to me several times a day.
> ----
> I am using IMAP and I have been for many, many years and I've migrated
> this particular setup from at least FC6 to now F10. I've got a LOT of
> mail and a LOT of folders but I'm not having 'hanging forever trying to
> sync' - It is not a problem that is endemic in Evolution.

I'm well aware of that. If it was endemic, no doubt it would be fixed by
now. However it's been happening to me for years on two different
machines connected to two different networks (to be fair, it does tend
to happen less than it used to).

I also get extreme slowness when opening very large folders, especially
on Gmail via IMAP. Evo spends a lot of time updating its state, in fact
I sometimes see two *overlapping* updates, apparently because the first
one takes so long (in fact it can sit at 0% apparently forever) that it
runs out the polling interval and starts another one. This doesn't
happen with Tbird on the same machine, network and account setup. Tbird
never takes more than a few seconds to open one of these folders.

poc