Delay in the activation of the routes at startup

webmyster webmyster at laposte.net
Mon Feb 2 13:51:48 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have a fedora 10 installed on a computer. I noticed a delay in the
activation of the routes during the startup process through network
startup script.

Actually, I run a "ping -c 50 xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt > /var/log/startup.ping"
(while xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt is a valid computer IP adress) just after the
automatic startup execution of the script /etc/rc.d/init/network.
The ping first start by answer several "Destination Host Unreachable".
Then after about 25 fail, the ping gets reply from the host.
A while the "route -n > /var/log/startup.route" command before the
startup ping shows that whole routes are valid (ie : no difference after
and before the pings).

Do you have an idea of the reason of this delay in the activation of the
routes ?

Regards,
    Damien Touraine