evolution email

Wayne Feick waf at brunz.org
Mon Feb 2 22:14:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 08:28 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> Ditto, but with persistent frustrations. I'm fed up to the back teeth
> >> with it hanging forever trying to sync an IMAP mailbox, something that
> >> happens to me several times a day.
> > ----
> > I am using IMAP and I have been for many, many years and I've migrated
> > this particular setup from at least FC6 to now F10. I've got a LOT of
> > mail and a LOT of folders but I'm not having 'hanging forever trying to
> > sync' - It is not a problem that is endemic in Evolution.
>
> I'm well aware of that. If it was endemic, no doubt it would be fixed by
> now. However it's been happening to me for years on two different
> machines connected to two different networks (to be fair, it does tend
> to happen less than it used to).
>
> I also get extreme slowness when opening very large folders, especially
> on Gmail via IMAP. Evo spends a lot of time updating its state, in fact
> I sometimes see two *overlapping* updates, apparently because the first
> one takes so long (in fact it can sit at 0% apparently forever) that it
> runs out the polling interval and starts another one. This doesn't
> happen with Tbird on the same machine, network and account setup. Tbird
> never takes more than a few seconds to open one of these folders.
>
> poc

I've been having a lot of problems lately with Evolution forgetting that
I've already read messages and marking them unread again. It has also
forgetting that messages were marked as junk and making me junk them
again. Are others seeing this as well?

I have to say that Evolution has never been a very stable piece of
software in my experience, with lots of strange hangs and unexpected
behavior. Certainly the exchange connector has never been a good
experience for me.

My office recently upgraded to Exchange 2007, and the connector stopped
working completely. I've had to switch to IMAP in order to read my work
email, and fall back to Exchange's web interface for calendaring.

I noticed that Thunderbird now has calender support, but its contact
manager doesn't have all the instant messaging fields built in (another
source of bugs with Evolution). I'd be tempted to switch back to
Thunderbird if it'd sync well with my Treo.

Wayne.