[OT] how to acquire a clustered vg on a server without lvm2-cluster

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 13:48:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Gianluca Cecchi
<gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I have a 2-nodes cluster with a clustered VG, that I copy (for
> example dd with cluster switched off), is then possible to acquire
> this VG on a third standalone node, or do I have to install the whole
> cluster layer on this third node too?
>
> This is on a rhel 5.2 server....
>
> At the moment:
> pvscan is ok.
>  pvscan
>  PV /dev/dm-11          VG VG_TEST   lvm2 [10.00 GB / 0    free]
>
> vgscan
>  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
>  Skipping clustered volume group VG_TEST
>

> vgchange -cn VG_TEST
>  Skipping clustered volume group VG_TEST

Ok, I found a Red Hat Knowledge Base (DOC-3619) explaining this.

[snip]
However, a local volume group has been incorrectly set up as
clustered, and there is not a cluster set up for the locking, when
unset the cluster flag is attempted to be removed, vgchange will print
out "Skipping cluster volume group."

In order to fix this, edit the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf file and set
locking_type = 0. Then run the command vgchange -cn VolumeGroupName.
After this, change the locking_type in the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf back to
the original value.

It works. Just in case other incurr in the same problem...

Sorry for the rumour,
Gianluca