Firefox Running Slow in Linux

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Feb 3 16:49:57 UTC 2009

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Agile Aspect <agile.aspect at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>>> This is probably a different situation, but for me, I discovered just
>>> how much browsers can be greatly slowed down if there are slow/bad
>>> DNS server entries.  Make sure that *all* of your DNS server entries
>>> are good in the /etc/resolv.conf file (can be set with System->
>>> Administration->Network (DNS tab)).  The odd thing is, only the
>>> browsers that were very slow, but everything else seemed to work
>>> fine.  You can check FF against your local web-server just to make
>>> sure it is not a DNS resolver issue or the Internet infrastructure.
>>>
>>> For me, FF works well with:
>>>
>>> Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
>>> Kernel 2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686 i686
>>> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6550  @ 2.33GHz
>>> CPUs: 2
>>> 2017MB RAM
>>>
>>> ... and my daughter's system, also an F9 with a different
>>> and faster Intel Motherboard, Duo-Core, 2GB RAM
>>>
>>> FWIW,
>>> Dan
>>>

>> When I step on the DHCP generated /etc/resolv.conf from
>> Comast with one using my Wireless router as my primary
>> resolver, the performance of Firefox jumps dramatically.
>>
>> Both the router and the DHCP generated /etc/resolv.conf
>> have the same DNS server entries.
>>
>> DNS should be the first item to be checked.
>>

> My problem isn't how fast Firefox is getting the page, it's how slow
> it is rendering them.

Well, what do you mean by rendering?  What exactly are you 'rendering'?
Running
a java-based or some other application like a mandelbrot application or
what? You
might let us know exactly what you are doing?

It is hard to tell with the little data you are giving as to determine
if by rendering you
are getting `streaming data' coming from "remote" or "local" sources
and if the
data (for rendering?) coming from local/remote servers and/or services?

Just wondered,
Dan