F10 post installation kernel issue?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Feb 3 18:10:41 UTC 2009

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>> First time F10 install went well.  One thing I did
>> differently in installing F10 was to:
>>
>> 1) Use the Volume based filesystems
>> 2) Enabled disk encryption
>>
>> I noticed that on every reboot, one must enter the password
>> long before seeing a grub display.  Hmm...  maybe for a server
>> this is not the way to go, but for a workstation, it's probably ok.
>>
>> Anyway, the initial kernel I started with is:
>> (1) kernel-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686
>>
>> I proceeded to get the latest updates and this was approx. 1 week ago.
>>
>> I later added programs I wanted installed, configured the services I
>> wanted,
>> etc., etc., and everything went well.  I was able to reboot, no problems.
>>
>> But then a few days later, more updates came through, but specifically
>> a new kernel was added:
>> (2) kernel-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686
>>
>> Rebooting, I got the messages:
>> ======================
>> ata1: ACPI get timing mode failed (AE 0x300d)

Eh?  Sure that's not "/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map" (/lib/kbd NOT
/lib/kdb and no capital K)?

If what you posted is what's really being displayed, then we have
serious problems.  The correct directory is provided by kbd RPM.

>> [hang]
>>
>> So, I never got to the point where I needed to enter
>> the encrypted disk password for continuance.
>>
>> To be sure, I rebooted back to the original kernel (1),
>> and it booted just fine.  Leaving it there, I continued using
>> the system, but got yet another kernel update:
>> (3) kernel-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686
>>
>> Same problem reported in (2) above.  So I am still
>> stuck at using my initial kernel at (1).
>>
>> Is there anything I can do or to check to understand why
>> I am not able to use the latest kernels?

If the system is looking for the keymap you've shown, it won't find it,
the console won't be set up and things will come to a screeching halt.
I run 64-bit kernels so I can't test it and I don't know where it's
getting that path from.  I have run all the kernels you show and they
run fine here.  None ask for that funky keymap path.
-      We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.     -