Sendmail

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Feb 5 13:23:15 UTC 2009

Adil Drissi wrote:

> I have successfully installed Mysql and PHP but I am unable to send email
> via php. Sendmail is already installed apparently. I want to know if there
> is a way to test email by sendmail command lines. Another thing is that
> how to configure sendmail because i'm just a regular customer of an
> internet provider. I know the provider's mail server parameters. Can
> sendmail be used with these parameters?

My ISP is called eircom.net .
So I uncommented and edited the line
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.eircom.net')dnl
in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc ,
and followed the instructions at the head of this file
to give the command "make -C /etc/mail".

I think that is all one normally needs to do.
I certainly do not want to read a book about sendmail.

The file /var/log/maillog gives information (too much information)
about what happens to each mail message.