XFCE depends on GNOME, why?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 5 16:23:20 UTC 2009

Javier Perez wrote:
> Hi
> I tried to install a "pure" XFCE system but I can't
> It looks like in order to install XFCE, I have to install also GNOME.
> It is so very counterproductive because my idea was to setup a
> small,efficient system specifically without GNOME or KDE's overhead.
> This is an old computer, with a Celeron processor
>
> Take a look at this, this is the result of sudo groupinstall XFCE:

A group in Fedora includes optional dependencies and the Xfce group
includes things like GDM and NetworkManager-gnome which will pull in
other dependencies. This won't necessary impact anything more than disk
space. If you want a "pure" Xfce setup, you can cherry pick individual
packages and do something like

# yum install Thunar Terminal xfce4-panel thunar-archive-plugin
thunar-volman xfdesktop xfce-utils xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-mixer

Note that this will still pull things like GTK2 simply because GNOME and
Xfce use the same library.

Rahul