Broadcom-wl v. Kernel

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Feb 5 19:34:10 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> homburg at tips-Q.com wrote:
>> I am not at all sure why it installed two kmod-wl. Both are
>> from rpmfusion-nonfree-updates???
>
> One is the metapackage which always drags in the module for the latest
> kernel, the other is the actual package for your current kernel.
>
>> Is the kernel dependency correct? Does this mean that - to
>> use wireless - I should boot from the non-PAE kernel?
>
> You should install kmod-wl-PAE.
>
> And are you sure you still need the proprietary driver? As far as I know,
> the b43 driver is getting support for more and more devices.

I originally hoped that my 4310 would be supported, as promised by both netdev
posts and the Broadcom site, but in truth it isn't. I bought a USB modem to use
until the new driver was done, now I'm looking for a replacement internal modem
so my cat can stop playing with the USB device.

So "more and more" doesn't include older popular choices of laptop makers. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>