grubby fatal error unable to find a suitable template

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Thu Feb 5 20:51:18 UTC 2009

   While upgrading a Fedora 8 x86_64 system on a software
RAID-1 mirror, I ran into a problem that prevents rpm from
installing kernels in the grub.conf. The Fedora 10 upgrade
of the Fedora 8 system completed without errors except that
the upgraded boot loader didn't work but just presented the
text...

GRUB>

Having seen this before in upgrades on other Fedora system,
I just repeated the upgrade process but selected the third
option to create a new boot loader. This allowed the installed
Fedora 10 to boot without problems.
   However when I did the first yum update, the kernel rpm
installation showed the error...

grubby fatal error unable to find a suitable template

This resulted in no entry being added to grub.conf. When I
compared the grub.conf.rpmsave, it has...

default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 ro root=/dev/md1 nodmraid rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64.img

whereas the grub.rpm present now shows...

default=0
timeout=0
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 ro root=UUID=3adeca51-506e-4b51-aea7-c0ca9525ec36 nodmraid
        initrd /initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64.img

I was able to add an entry for the newly installed kernel and use
/dev/md1 for root and this boots the new kernel fine. Does anyone
know how to eliminate this problem? Where are the grub templates
stored? I am assuming the use of the UUID label is causing the
problem for grubby. I found bugzilla 124246 for this issue but
it doesn't seem to have a solution other than the vague recommendation
to not use the old grub.conf but have a separate template file
(whatever that means). Thanks in advance for any advice as I
am really worried about updating the kernel now.
                 Jack