F10 64-bit - Wired Ethernet Problems with DNS

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Thu Feb 5 21:52:59 UTC 2009

I installed F10 64-bit on a Dell quad computer without any problems.
(The computer had been running F5.) I did a fresh install on a new hard
drive. eth0 worked fine under F5. I can get a connection using ssh and
IP addresses but I cannot get DNS to work, even though I'm using the
same DNS addresses (which I can ping). When I use the gui and put in the
netmask (255.255.255.0), the gui constantly overwrites it. To get any
connection, I have to go into the eth0 config file and set the netmask.
(The gui always replaces the netmask IP with either the computer's IP or
gateway IP - don't remember which.) I can't get this working so I can do
an update.

Any idea on what is going wrong?

Rick B.