LXDE as default in init 5

solarflow99 solarflow99 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 23:44:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:09 PM, phil <happyharrysco1 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> solarflow99 wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Aldo Foot <lunixer at gmail.com <mailto:
>> lunixer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:39 AM, solarflow99 <solarflow99 at gmail.com
>>    <mailto:solarflow99 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>    > I would like to set this as the default, but using runlevel 5
>>    just brings up
>>    > GDM by default and I have to select lxde every time.  Anyone
>>    happen to know
>>    > where you can can set this?  it doesnt seem realted to prefdm, I
>>    tried that
>>    > already.
>>
>>    I selected LXDE at the GDM. Logged in. Rebooted. The LXDE was still
>>    selected when
>>    I logged in a second time.
>>    In my system I have a hidden file, which stores my desktop selection
>>    to remember it:
>>
>>    $ cat $HOME/.dmrc
>>    [Desktop]
>>    Session=LXDE
>>
>>    first time I ever try LXDE and is indeed quite fast.
>>

>> If only I could get root to work then, you'll notice if you logged as
>> root, it doesnt save the session even if that file is there.  Also from my
>>

> but why login as root? why not use 'su' or 'sudo', logging in as root all
> the time isn't recommended
>  <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines>

oh no, I thought this one might be coming, but anyways i'm happy to answer
your question.  I found that because of what I am usually doing using su is
a huge hassle, almost everything I do needs to be root, and there are
reasons why I would want to do that.  I agree with not allowing root by
default, but its not actually for everyone.