Mount points for CD-ROM

Scott Karlin scott at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Feb 6 02:32:49 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for the reply.

> There are no packages that create mount point directories.

Good to know.  I wanted to make sure that the mount points I might
create manually won't conflict.

> Mounting a CD on the Gnome desktop is done through HAL. The CD is
> mounted automagically with permissions set to the local user. You do not
> have to create any directories or issue any command line arguments for
> this to happen.

Interesting.  I'm a WindowMaker (and sometimes KDE) user so I've always
handled mounts myself.

If I were to switch to gnome, how is the "local" user determined?  My
xorg.conf is set up to have three separate X Screens.  My family can
all be logged in simultaneously and we switch users with Ctrl-Alt-Fn.
It sounds like the system might have some difficulty determining who
to give permissions to.

Scott