How to set up a DNS server(at Home)

Michael Rohan mrohan at stonepillar.com
Sat Feb 7 04:18:09 UTC 2009

Hi,

Just a minor additional suggestion: since this is for a home network, you
probably have DNS servers supplied by your ISP.  You should configure your
named server as a forwarder rather than doing your own full resolution,
e.g., add

        forward only;
        forwarders {
                68.87.76.178;
                68.87.78.130;
        };

to your named.conf options section.  The values above are for Comcast in San
Jose, you'll need to change them!

Take care,
Michael.

Michael Rohan