Passing USB into a KVM/QEMU VM F10

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Sat Feb 7 23:24:31 UTC 2009

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Has anyone had any success in passing a USB into a KVM virtual machine.
>
> More specifically, I would like to be able to sync by blackberry. I
> have Windows XP and Windows Vista guest OS's.  Not a biggie as I can
> dump them and use Virtualbox that I have installed on my laptop. I
> have not figured out how to recognize the USB on VB (2.1) yet either,
> but that is more RTFM.

Yes, no worries.

plug in your BlackBerry and run lsusb to see the id numbers.

For instance:

on my system:

Bus 001 Device 016: ID 0424:2228 Standard Microsystems Corp. 9-in-2 Card
Reader

If I wanted to give a VM access to my card reader, I would append the
following to the qemu-kvm command line:

-usbdevice 0424:2228

Thats it.

See the qemu-kvm man pages.