XFCE depends on GNOME, why?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Feb 8 00:35:22 UTC 2009

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> gdm is a big one. It now basically requires a gnome desktop to work.
> Perhaps we should look at pulling in kdm for Xfce. ;)

Well, then you'll need at least kdelibs, probably kdebase-runtime and
oxygen-icon-theme too (and all that stuff is pretty large). :-( KDM doesn't
spawn an almost complete KDE desktop like GDM does with GNOME, but it does
need the KDE libraries. We'd also have to split it out of kdebase-workspace
for you - I don't think you want all of kdebase-workspace on the XFCE
spin. ;-)

I guess porting my KDM ConsoleKit patch (which now got accepted into KDE
upstream, but the patch can be extracted from KDE SVN) to one of the
lightweight display managers and then using that as the default would be
the best approach for you in the long run.

        Kevin Kofler