firewall + Wireless problems

Kevin Kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Mon Feb 9 17:59:35 UTC 2009

Hi All;

I've setup untangle as a firewall - it works great. It's setup with 192.168.2.1
as the  'gateway' or the begining I.P. range for the DHCP server. So, if I go
to 192.168.2.1 I get the untangle admin panel

I also want a wireless access point. I'm currently using a netgear VPN
fiirewall with a built-in WAP (I'm only wanting the Wireless Access Point).

Unfortunately I cannot have the VPN firewall access point on the same subnet as
the untangle firewall. The untangle DHCP server serves up IP's from 192.168.2.1
thru 192.168.2.200

I'd like for the WAP to just get another IP and serve up addresses from
192.168.2.201 thru 192.168.2.250 (or so).

The WAP however wants to be its own DHCP server and refuses to start with
ANYTHING other than a 192.168.x.1 address.

Any thoughts on this ? Is this normal, or maybe its simply because I'm forcing
a firewall to be only a WAP ? Suggestions per configurations and/or WAP devices
?

I did buy a USR model 5451 WAP but it seems to be too tied to M$ Windows,
without the M$ windows install CD (according to their suppoer) I should be
able to access it at 192.168.2.1 but it doesn't work - even if I try it before
my untangle firewall (Directly off the cable modem)

Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts, etc...