rpmbuild question - follow on to gcc issues [SOLVED]

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 11 15:01:02 UTC 2009

---- "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > ---- "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> >> One way is to create your own patch that is used after the original
> >> patch. Add it to the end of the patch list.
> >
> > Yukk!! That will get really tiresome really quickly. At this
> > point I don't really know what I'm looking for so I may end up having to
> > add debug statements to several files.
> >
> > Is there a way to apply all the patches to the source code and
> > them remove them from the spec file?
> >
> > Steve
> >
> Well, if you are debugging the program, you would probably be better
> off running "rpmbuild -bp <package>" and then make your changes in
> the build directory. Then run make manually. You can do this all as
> a normal user. Depending on what you are building, you may be able
> to run it as a normal user from the build directory. If not, you are
> probably going to override the make file so it installs relative to
> your home directory. Once you have it debugged, you can transfere
> the changes to the virgin source with a patch, or pass them upstream...

rpmbuild -bp <spec file> did the trick.

After running that I went into the BUILD directory and made my modifications. Next I ran ./configure with all the options from the spec file and finally ran

$ make CFLAGS='-fPIC -D_GNU_SOURCE"

I also got the CFLAG options from the spec file. The last thing I had to do was set the correct SELinux context for the executable and point the boot script at my executable instead of the system one.

Now I can start.

Thanks for the help.
Steve.