Audio problem

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Feb 11 22:22:14 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 22:08, JD wrote:
> Dear list,
> I am running FC7, kernel 2.6.23.17-88.
> It has been fine for more than 2 years.
> Yesterday, the audio stopped working.
> I thought it was the HW.
> I booted into WinXP and tested the audio,
> Audio was fine.
>
> How do I debug this problem to find out the cause?

Well Fedora core 7 is old, but I'm posting from Fedora core 2, so as far as
I'm concerned, if it is still working, and your happy with it, keep using it.

Back to your sounds. Can you post the output from the following commands,
which will show if the soundcard is being detected, and if the necessary
modules are being loaded,

cat /proc/asound/cards
/sbin/lsmod | grep snd

It's worth also opening alsamixer in Gnomes terminal, or KDE's Konsole, if
you're using KDE like me, and see if all the necessary sliders are still up
(Master, Front, PCM, CD), and that none of these controls are muted (The M
key toggles the mute/unmute).

Have you plugged a new audio related device into the USB (webcam, usb midi
keyboard, etc). The usb starts early in the boot process, and alsa can detect
these devices as soundcards, and set them as card0, thus stopping your actual
soundcard using the card0 slot, resulting in no sounds.

Just a few thoughts for a start.

Nigel.