WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Sat Feb 14 00:14:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:56:09PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Actually, AT&T Unix was free - I don't think they were allowed to sell it.
> We acquired Unix edition 5 but never got it to run
> because it didn't have drivers for the computer we were using (pdp-11/23).

They couldn't sell it initially, but eventually--I believe the first
commercial release was System III, around 1982 or so, based on research
version 7--yes, they did.  The non-commercial versions were "research
Unix".  And commercial Unix Wasn't Cheap.

I bought a copy of System V Release 4 (SVR4) from Dell around 1992 or
so at the then-unbelievably-cheap price of $1100.  Loaded with goodies
from GNU.  And felt tickled to get a full Unix system at that price.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat at dminet.com