Advice on changing to 64 bits

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Feb 14 16:06:54 UTC 2009

On 02/14/2009 10:52 AM, Joshua C. wrote:
> It is supposed to be faster than 32 bit but as a human you'll barely
> see any difference if at all.
Actually, I did  a number of (unofficial) benchmarks a while ago when I
worked for partner engineering at HP.  While most of the benchmarks ran
well at 64-bit, one of my partner's tested their applications and found
their 32-bit versions were significantly faster (I think this one was on
HP-UX, but may have been Linux). Additionally, we found on the Digital
Alpha that there were some applications that were slower in 64-bits. The
Alpha was a full 64-bit chip with no native 32-bit mode.  For the most
part, the personal workstation as you point out, won't make too much of
a different. Just remember that a 64-bit OS can address the full 4GB of
the OP's system where a 32-bit OS must use PAE to access over 3GB. This
restriction only comes into play if you have a very memory intensive
application.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix